BLPP Members are not subject to the direction or control of the council, except on matters relating to procedures of the panel or the time within which it is to deal with a matter (unless these directions are inconsistent with a direction of the Minister).
Panels are subject to any directions made by the Minister and are governed by the Code of Conduct for Local Planning Panels(PDF, 185KB).
The Panel operates under the (PDF, 251KB)Local Planning Direction - Operational Procedure(PDF, 377KB) , which provides directions to ensure the Panel complies with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
The following local operating procedures for the 2021 - 2024 panel term complement the universal procures issued under Ministerial direction:
- The existing 2021 meeting schedule to continue to operate as originally approved by Council
- Panel meetings to be convened in person when run in conjunction with a public hearing
- Panel meetings to be convened in person when a strategic planning information briefing is to be provided
- Panel meetings to be convened virtually via Zoom technology for sessions dealing only with determination matters that are not subject to public meetings by the Panel
- Panel meeting deliberations are to continue without members of the public present
- No parties with pecuniary or non-pecuniary interests in development proposals (or their representatives) will be invited to address the Panel, other than when a public meeting on an eligible matter is convened
- Council officers and third parties engaged by Council to assist them in the exercise of its functions are routinely expected to attend Panel meetings to provide background briefings and clarifications on planning and assessment reports provided by them to the Panel.