The State Government has an integrated vision for strategic planning and infrastructure in NSW, you can find more information in these three planning documents:
Greater Sydney Commission
The Greater Sydney Commission is responsible for metropolitan planning in Sydney.
Sydney is split into five districts, each with their own district plan; Burwood is in the Eastern City District. View the Eastern City District Plan.
Parramatta Road Corridor Urban Transformation Strategy
The Parramatta Road Corridor Urban Transformation Strategy is the NSW Government’s 30-year plan to drive and inform land use planning and development decisions as well as long-term infrastructure delivery programs in the Parramatta Road Corridor.
There are eight renewal precincts along the Parramatta Road Corridor. Part of the Burwood-Concord Precinct and Kings Bay Precinct lie within Burwood.
Canada Bay and Strathfield Councils, who also have land in the Parramatta Road Corridor, together with Burwood, have identified the need for additional urban design, traffic and transportation investigations. The three Councils consider this as essential work to ensure that all future decisions to rezone land are made with a thorough understanding of the potential cumulative impacts and will achieve orderly, transparent, and consistent development, and above all, the highest quality planning and design outcomes.
As of March 2021, the three Councils are still working with the NSW Transport cluster to finalise the traffic modelling work which will inform the Traffic and Transport study. The Urban Design Study is currently on hold pending the findings of the traffic work. This has been significantly delayed with an anticipated early 2021 timeframe.
The Planning Delivery Unit (PDU) was established by the Minister for Planning and Public Spaces in July 2020 to resolve long standing projects which have become ‘stuck’ in the system. The PRCUTS is one of these priority projects.
The PDU is working in consultation with Council to speed up and resolve the PRCUTS. This is still progressing as of March 2021 with an unknown completion date. It is to be noted there is a significant amount of work still to be done before rezoning can be completed. However, Burwood Council is progressing its internal analysis and built form testing. Council will be able to complete the precinct wide studies once the strategic traffic modelling by the State Government is completed and estimate the future impacts and necessary improvements to the local road network.
The community will be updated of progress on this webpage.
You can find more information on Landcoms website.
Sydney Metro West
Sydney Metro West is a proposed underground railway line which will connect Greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD.
A station is proposed directly to the north of the Burwood Local Government Area to be called ‘Burwood North’. An entrance to this station will be on the corner of Burwood Road and Parramatta Road.
Burwood Council is working collaboratively with Sydney Metro and Transport for New South Wales in the planning and design of this railway line and station.
You can find more information on the Sydney Metro website.
- Department of Planning, Industry and Environment, which governs State and regional planning, legislation relating to pollution and the environment, and develops policies in relation to air quality, climate change and water. The website provides information on metropolitan strategies, State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs) and initiatives to streamline the planning system.
- Greater Sydney Commission is leading metropolitan planning in Sydney. Key projects are the Greater Sydney Region Plan: A Metropolis of Three Cities and the District Plans.
- NSW Legislation provides access to all NSW legislation (acts, regulations and environmental planning instruments).
- Environment, Energy and Science Group (DPIE), which includes the majority of the former Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH), the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA), the Energy team from the former Energy, Water and Portfolio Strategy Division in Department of Planning and Environment, and the Resources Regulator. The Heritage functions of OEH have moved to the Department of Premier and Cabinet.
- Heritage NSW (Department of Premier and Cabinet), which has responsibility for Aboriginal cultural heritage, State Heritage Register listings and approvals, archaeology and maritime heritage, grants delivery and activation.
- Roads and Maritime Services (Transport for NSW), which is responsible for the maintenance and development of the roads and traffic systems of NSW, in conjunction with state and local government agencies.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service, which administers legislation for National Parks, threatened species and Aboriginal sites.
- Government Architect NSW, (GANSW) which provides strategic design leadership in architecture, urban design and landscape architecture. Has important design documents such as Better Placed and Greener Places.
- For all other Government-related enquiries at the State level, go to the State Government website
SEPPs relevant to the Burwood LGA can be viewed by clicking on the following links: