Doing work to a Heritage Listed Item or Property in a Heritage Conservation Area?
Early engagement with Burwood Council can assist in ensuring that your project is consistent with our Heritage controls and expected outcomes.
Our Heritage Advisor can be contacted on 9911 9877.
Exemption from requiring Development Consent – Minor Heritage Works
You may not need development consent (DA approval) if the work does not affect the heritage significance of a building, structure or place.
Clause 5.10(3) of Burwood LEP outlines what work may be carried out to heritage properties or properties within Heritage Conservation Areas without development consent. These include:
- Replacing roof cladding, like for like. Changing the roof cladding to a different material will need a DA
- Re-painting with the same colours. Altering the existing colour scheme will require a paint schedule to be submitted with the application.
- Replacing the front or boundary fence like-for-like (eg replacing an existing timber paling fencewith a new timber paling fence
- Replacing existing damaged doors and windows like-for-like
- Minor non-structural works, where the works are like-for-like or similar
The DA Exemption - Minor Heritage Works form(PDF, 200KB) must be submitted to Council for approval of minor heritage work. Please seek advice from our Heritage Adviser before submitting your application.
If your request is approved, you will receive written confirmation that your works do not need consent.
The works must not commence until you receive this written confirmation.
Heritage Paint Scheme Factsheet(PDF, 557KB)