Works on Council Property

Do you plan on undertaking works outside your property boundary?

As the authority responsible for local infrastructure, Council is obliged to maintain roads and footpaths in a safe state for everyone to use.

Apply for Works on Council Property


Find out what is required before you can commence works.

All hoardings constructed on or over public domain areas require approval from Council and payment of a fee as scheduled in the fees and charges(PDF, 2MB) for the period.

Before an asset on Council’s roads reserve is opened by a plumber, drainer, builder or any other person, a Road Opening Permit permit is required from Council.

Apply for a Road Opening Permit

View application fees and restoration charges payable

Minimise your risk and visit Dial Before You Dig

Burwood Council Drainage Pipe and Pit data can be accessed by using the Interactive Online Mapping System or by viewing a Map PDF. A link to the online mapping system will be sent to you once you apply through the “Dial Before You Dig” website.

Also see Excavations and Works on Council Property for more detail.

Temporary anchors are required to shore bulk excavations. The anchors are temporarily installed as per designer’s and/or manufacturer’s instructions.

The anchors are eventually de-stressed after permanent lateral structural supports have been constructed.

A permit is required from Council prior to installation of anchors in Council’s controlled land. Fees and refundable Holding Deposit (in the form of Bank Guarantee) also apply.

A vehicle will only be permitted to cross between the road pavement and private property on a properly constructed vehicular crossing approved by Council, and constructed to Council’s specifications.

These works are to be in accordance with Council’s Stormwater Management Code and the requirement for a road openings permit also applies.

Where roof water connections for residential properties are to connect to the kerb they are to be within the frontage of the property. These works are to be carried out by a licensed plumber or builder only.

Works adjacent to roads and retaining walls

Where earthworks will alter ground levels of a property adjacent to the road reserve, approval is required from Council to ensure that support for the road is not undermined or at risk of collapse.

Generally a retaining wall will be required if a change in ground level is approved. Details of such structures will be subject to a building application.

You will need a permit for rubbish skips or bulk waste containers if they are placed on the road and not within your property.

Skip bins are not the same as normal domestic waste containers collected as part of Council’s regular waste collection service.

View Council's Rubbish Skips Policy(PDF, 686KB)