Permits for Occupying, Closing or Working on or over Council Property

Before Council’s road, footpath or nature strip is occupied, closed or opened (excavated) by a resident, builder, sub-contractor or any other person, a permit is required from Council.

Apply for a Permit here 

You will need to pay the appropriate application fees and restoration charges for your permit. 

 All works that occupy, close or that are carried out on Council’s roads and property are to comply with the relevant policy including the requirement to obtain the relevant permit.

Works that require a permit include but are not limited to the following:

  • Residential, Commercial, Industrial and Institutional Building Works
  • Concrete pours, unloading, loading or storing building materials or equipment
  • Unloading or loading demolished or excavated materials
  • Work Zones
  • Service connections (such as gas, water, sewer, electricity, telephone etc)
  • Hoardings
  • Subdivisions
  • Driveway, footpath, kerb and gutters works
  • Drainage works including roof water connections to the kerb
  • All other developments and activities within or impacting the road, footpath and nature strip.

For Road Opening Works:

Minimise your risk and visit Dial Before You Dig.

Burwood Council Drainage Pipe and Pit data can be accessed by using the Interactive Online Mapping System or by viewing a Map PDF. A link to the online mapping system will be sent to you once you apply through the “Dial Before You Dig” website.