Works on Council Property

Do you plan on undertaking works outside your property boundary? As the authority responsible for local infrastructure, Burwood Council is obliged to maintain roads and footpaths in a safe state for everyone to use. This means you need to apply to Council before undertaking certain works outside your property.

Each application attracts a fee, please see our Fees and Charges and pay the fee before commencing an application - you will be required to attach proof of payment before completing the applications below.  


Construction Permit and/or Construction Approval

Required to undertake construction of driveways, footpaths, kerbs, gutters, nature strips etc., as well as construction of Rock/Ground Anchors and for approval of driveway and/or storm water connection in regards to developments under Complying Development Certificate.

Apply for a Construction Permit and/or Construction Approval

Hoarding Permit

All hoardings constructed on or over public domain areas require approval from Council.

Apply for a Hoarding Permit

Road Opening Permit

A Road Opening Permit is required for any type of intrusive digging into a road or footpath for utility service works, storm water or sewer connection works and repairs.

Apply for a Road Opening Permit

Temporary Road Closure Permit

A Temporary Road Closure Permit is required when seeking permission to temporarily close any part of a road (including car parks).

This permit is implemented for the prime purpose of enhancing road safety and traffic control. This permit covers all road closures of temporary nature, introduced for specific purposes. It does not, however, include those closures of a permanent nature that are pursued under the Roads Opening and Closing Act.

Apply for a Temporary Road Closure Permit

Work Zone Permit

A ‘Work Zone’ is a parking restriction that provides for a dedicated road carriageway area where only construction vehicles can park and are often required at construction sites to facilitate development when parking on-site is unavailable.

Works Zone applications must be submitted at least 6-8 weeks prior to the works zone being required. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that this is complied with and that all necessary documents are attached with the application for Council’s consideration.

Apply for a Works Zone permit

Council Certificate of Compliance

Council's Certificate of Compliance is a Certificate which the applicants/developers seek from Council. The Certificate confirms all repairs/ restorations of Council’s assets in front of the development have been completed and/or taken care of as per the DA/CDC conditions. The Private Certifier requires the “Compliance Certificate” in order to  issue an Occupation Certificate (OC) for the building.

   Apply Council's Certificate of Compliance

Read below for more information on undertaking works on Council property

These works are to be in accordance with Council’s Stormwater Management Code and the requirement for a road openings permit also applies.

Where roof water connections for residential properties are to connect to the kerb they are to be within the frontage of the property. These works are to be carried out by a licensed plumber or builder only.

Before an asset on Council’s roads reserve is opened by a plumber, drainer, builder or any other person, a Road Opening Permit permit is required from Council. 

Minimise your risk and visit Dial Before You Dig

Burwood Council Drainage Pipe and Pit data can be accessed by using the Interactive Online Mapping System or by viewing a Map PDF. A link to the online mapping system will be sent to you once you apply through the “Dial Before You Dig” website.

Also see Excavations and Works on Council Property for more detail.

You will need a permit for rubbish skips or bulk waste containers if they are placed on the road and not within your property.

Skip bins are not the same as normal domestic waste containers collected as part of Council’s regular waste collection service.

View Council's Rubbish Skips Policy(PDF, 686KB)

Temporary anchors are required to shore bulk excavations. The anchors are temporarily installed as per designer’s and/or manufacturer’s instructions.

The anchors are eventually de-stressed after permanent lateral structural supports have been constructed.

A permit is required from Council prior to installation of anchors in Council’s controlled land. Fees and refundable Holding Deposit (in the form of Bank Guarantee) also apply.

A vehicle will only be permitted to cross between the road pavement and private property on a properly constructed vehicular crossing approved by Council, and constructed to Council’s specifications.

Works adjacent to roads and retaining walls

Where earthworks will alter ground levels of a property adjacent to the road reserve, approval is required from Council to ensure that support for the road is not undermined or at risk of collapse.

Generally a retaining wall will be required if a change in ground level is approved. Details of such structures will be subject to a building application.