Reporting Complaints

Council is seeking community assistance in ensuring compliance of regulations within the Burwood Local Government Area. If you notice or observe any compliance issues relating to building works (out of hours work, working contrary to approval or operating without approval), roadway obstructions, pollution matters, noise issues, animal issues, tree matters (removal or trimming), parking, traffic, health matters or any other general complaint, please notify Council at your earliest convenience.

You may direct your complaint to Council via one of the following options:

1. Call Council's Customer Service Department on 9911-9911; or

2. write a letter to Council -c/o Burwood Council PO Box 240 Burwood NSW 1805; or

3. email Council  - c/o

Your assistance in reporting compliance matters is vital in ensuring community harmony and safety.  Complaints may be lodged anonymously; however it is suggested that your details are recorded to ensure that you are updated with the outcome of the matter. 

All matters will be investigated by the authorised enforcement staff.

Infringement Notice Reviews

Council advises that as of June 2010 all infringement adjudications are made by the State Debt Recovery Office and Council can no longer adjudicate on these matters.

The State Debt Recovery Office is an independent body run by the Office of State Revenue which adjudicates such matters.  All requests for reviews must be forwarded to the State Debt Recovery Office PO Box 786 Strawberry Hills NSW 2124 or (website