About rates

Where do my rates go?

Rates help pay for local services and facilities in the area including waste management, maintenance of roads, parks and gardens, library and community services, recreational facilities and civic events.

Below is a breakdown of where your rates go. For every $100, Council funds the following activities:


How are my rates calculated?

Rates are calculated from property valuations supplied by the NSW Valuer General. The calculation of rates is tied to the value of your property, and the limits placed on councils in setting rates.

Council uses the method of ad valorem and minimum rates. Under this method, a council must impose a rate per dollar (ad valorem) of land value, with a minimum amount.

The rate per dollar calculation uses the land's valuation and category.

If the valuation multiplied by the rate per dollar falls below the minimum rate, a minimum rate will be charged.

For Frequently Asked Questions – Rates and Charges - click HERE to view. 

Pensioner concessions

Council offers a pensioner rebate to eligible pensioners to assist in paying rates and annual charges.

Concessional amounts
Eligible ratepayers are entitled to receive up to;

  • $250.00 on ordinary rates and charges for domestic waste management services;
  • $87.50 off their annual water rates and charges (where service is provided by council);
  • $87.50 off their annual sewerage rates and charges (where service is provided by council).

Generally, the concessions are available to eligible pensioners, however concessions may be granted to ratepayers suffering financial hardship in certain circumstances.


Holders of the cards listed below are eligible for the concession.

  • Holders of a Pensioner Concession Card (PCC);
  • Holders of a gold card embossed with ‘TPI’ (Totally Permanently Incapacitated);
  • Holders of a gold card embossed with ‘EDA’ (Extreme Disablement Adjustment);
  • War widow or widower or wholly dependent partner entitled to the DVA income support supplement*.

Holders of cards other than those listed above are not eligible for the concession.

*If you are a war widow or widower or wholly dependent partner but do not have a Pensioner Concession Card, you should contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) to test your eligibility. Eligibility is determined by an income and assets test.


Please complete the form below and return it to Council by person, or email at council@burwood.nsw.gov.au.