This policy provides a framework for the implementation of new or expanded outdoor dining and live entertainment in the Burwood Local Government Area and seeks to enhance the provisions set out in existing Council policies to improve and increase the use of outdoor space following the extended COVID-19 lockdown period.
This policy applies to the period 1 November 2021 – 31 January 2022, unless otherwise extended and may be updated at any time.
- Support the economic recovery of Burwood.
- Promote an activated and vibrant street culture.
- Encourage and manage safe high quality outdoor dining and live entertainment that takes into account the needs of the public as well as businesses.
- Enhance the provisions set out in existing Council policies and support the State and Federal Government’s commitment to encourage the use of outdoor areas for outdoor dining and live performance post-lockdown including on-street parking, Council car parks, parks, laneways and nearby main streets, subject to feasibility and safety assessments.
- Streamline and fast-track approval processes.
- Support opportunities for later business trade where appropriate.
- Maintain a high quality public domain that contributes to public amenity.
- Ensure that expanded outdoor dining does not impact or obstruct pedestrian traffic.
View the interim policy(PDF, 2MB)