Memorandum of Understanding
General Manager, Michael McMahon and Datuk Ir James Wong
The Borneo Post - Friday, 17 August 2012
Sister and Friendship Cities
Council’s objectives for its Sister/Friendship City Programme are:
- To promote & encourage International information exchange & liaison between Local Government, business leaders & the wider community.
- Enhance & promote the image of Burwood Council & Australian Local Government Internationally.
- To promote an understanding between people at all levels & of different cultures.
- To develop economic, trade, cultural, educational, policy, technical & other beneficial changes.
- To foster International understanding & the exchange of information.
Burwood Council has over the years developed Sister and Friendship City relationships with the following countries:
On Friday, 17 August 2012, Burwood Council's General Manager signed a Memorandum of Understanding to enter a Sister City Relationship with Sandakan Municipal Council.
Sandakan was the site of the infamous death marches to Ranau during WWII, where 2,345 diggers were killed, including 23 men from the Burwood area.
Burwood Council holds one of only three Sandakan Remembrance Services in Australia, and the only one in NSW.
The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in the spirit of friendship, to look to a brighter future and to honour the 23 men from Burwood who never returned.
Other Sister Cities
Tienjing, Tiangin City, District of Heping; Municipality of Chuzhon; ShaoGuanCity, Guangdon Province, China – Burwood has a large ethnic population with Chinese being our largest ethnic group. Friendship City relationships were established with these two regions in 2002 and 2008.
Geumcheon-Gu, South Korea – Burwood’s 2nd largest ethnic population is from Korea. Sister City relationship established in 2003.
Region of Calabria,
Italy – Burwood’s 3rd largest ethnic group is from Italy, and Council established Sister City Relationships with the Councils of Plati, Badolato, Martone, Cinquefrondi, Africo and Gerace in 2002.
Lebanon – Burwood’s 4th largest ethnic group is Lebanese with a large proportion coming from the Imar region. Friendship City relationship established in 2006.