Cities for Climate Protection
Cities for Climate Protection Program
Burwood Council has recently become a member of the Cities for Climate Protection Program. As a member of this program Council is working towards achieving five milestones, and take a leading role in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions at a local community level. The five milestones that comprise the program are outlined below:
- Milestone 1: Conduct an inventory and forecast for Community and Corporate (Council) greenhouse gas emissions.
- Milestone 2: Establish an emissions reduction goal.
- Milestone 3: Develop and adopt a Local Action Plan.
- Milestone 4: Implement the Local Action Plan.
- Milestone 5: Monitor and report on achievements.
In 2006, Burwood Council established a greenhouse gas emissions inventory and forecast (Milestone 1). Council also set Corporate and Community emissions reduction goals (Milestone 2). Burwood Council has completed (Milestone 3) adopting a Local Action Plan (LAP) outlining the strategy that will be undertaken to reduce greenhouse emissions in the Local Government Area.